Full-time PGDM or Distance PGDM/MBA? It is indeed a difficult decision to make for many students and experienced professionals who face this question after deciding to pursue a PGDM/MBA. Let us understand the main difference between full time PGDM and distance learning PGDM/MBA:
Distance PGDM/MBA, as the name suggests, is taught or held through virtual mode. Videos, emails, and posts are some of the standard mediums through which distance PGDM/MBA is taught. In contrast, full-time PGDM/MBA has a physical aspect to it where the lectures are held in a classroom and there is direct contact between the students and the faculty. Besides, there are other on-campus facilities available to students as well. That is, they can even participate in other non-academic activities like sports, elocution, quizzes, competitions, etc.
Presented below are some basic differences between full time PGDM and distance learning PGDM/MBA in the table below, for you to make an informed choice.
- Delivery of Program: Distance PGDM/MBA program is delivered online, with some institutes sending across study material through post. In contrast, the mode of program delivery in a full-time PGDM/MBA program is classroom study with a tight and fixed schedule.
- Curriculum: There is a crisp and concise curriculum in Distance PGDM/MBA. Whereas, Theory and Practicals are both comprehensive in a 2-year full-time PGDM/MBA program.
- Teaching Principles: In Distance PGDM/MBA, there is a lot of variability in matters relating to exam schedule, selection of venue and online submission of assignments. Whereas, in a 2-year full-time PGDM/MBA program, there is a very compact and precise schedule for assignment submission, exam dates and class participation.
- Duration: The course duration of a distance learning PGDM/MBA program could range from anywhere between 1-3 years with a good 1-2 years to complete the course. Whereas, the duration of a full-time PGDM/MBA program is a fixed 2 years.
- Intake Process: There is normally no fixed time period to seek admission into a Distance PGDM/MBA program. But, since the number of seats is fixed, there is a lot of competition to get a seat in a full-time PGDM/MBA program.
- Admission Process: The admission process for Distance PGDM/MBA is much simpler and user friendly since a lot of applicants come in for admission because of their being working professionals. However, in full-time PGDM/MBA, a complex and elaborate admission process is established to secure admission. Some of the rounds one has to go through to get selected in a full-time PGDM/MBA program include Entrance Exam, Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
- Exposure: There is no industrial or field visit involved in Distance PGDM/MBA program; so the learning is restricted in the terms of exposure. In contrast, industrial visits, factory visits, field visits are an important part of a full-time PGDM/MBA program and is part of the core curriculum.
- Placement: There is no placement process involved in distance PGDM/MBA and job search and job change needs to be done on by the students themselves. On the other hand, in a full-time PGDM/MBA program, a placement process is conducted at the end of each final academic year and students have the opportunity to get hired in the best of companies tied-up with the program.
- Networking: Since distance PGDM/MBA is online, there is no interaction between the students and faculty or even between the students themselves. But, in a full-time PGDM/MBA program there is continuous interaction between the students and faculty; hence, networking takes place on a large scale with students, guest faculty and other members which is a great advantage.
These are then some of the main differences between full time PGDM and distance learning PGDM/MBA. The choice, of course, depends entirely upon your needs and priorities.