“Time and Tide, wait for no one”.
In today’s working environment, competition is high and employers view someone who is able to complete maximum tasks effectively with minimum time as a competent resource. As the PGDM 13-15 batch students are placed with different organizations and the PGDM 14-16 batch currently gaining industry exposure in their summer internships, it is imperative to learn how to manage the time spent in completing a task.
To begin with, Time Management means managing yourself. When you plan and exercise conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities in order to increase effectiveness, efficiency and productivity, then you would have managed your time well.
Here are some tips and tricks which may be followed to manage one’s time well:
- Create a to-do list: Make a list of things you need to complete during the day. Check them off your list as and when you accomplish them. Understand what are the things you would need to complete on your own and which tasks would require you to take input from someone else.
- Set realistic goals & follow a plan: Prioritize the tasks as per their importance and urgency. Try and complete the urgent tasks as soon as possible and then quickly move to the important tasks. Focus on the goals you set for yourself. Don’t be distracted.
- Create a planner(daily/ weekly / monthly): Mark important dates in a calendar and keep it within your sight. Circle or highlight the important dates and create the check list for the tasks you need to complete for that important day.
- Be focused / Have a vision: Keep the focus and have a positive attitude. Be a problem solver and a solution generator. Don’t bicker and complain at work. Instead, try and find out what could be the possible ways of undertaking and completing a task and discuss the same with your mentors and supervisors.
- Limit your distractions: Switch off your phone or put it on silent. Even a 5 minute phone call conversation by a friend can be very distracting to someone else.
- Limit your breaks: Take short breaks for tea/ coffee etc. Even in those short breaks that you take, avoid talking on the phone.
- A-B-C Analysis: Mark your to-do list in the A, B and C format with “A” being the highest in priority. This will help you analyze which tasks need to be completed first.
Time management helps you do your task in time and utilize your time more productively. It helps you to identify the useless activities which can be avoided, how to plan effectively and allocate time efficiently for the completion of a task.
Manage your time well, don’t let it manage you! All the Best.